Dr. Cohen is involved with studying how to help educators, mental health professionals and parents promote childrens social, emotional and civic as well as intellectual competencies and ethical dispositions. As the president and co-founder of the National School Climate Center (formerly, Center for Social and Emotional Education) (www.schoolclimate.org) he works with schools, districts and State Departments of Education to measure and improve school climate. He is the author of over sixty papers and several award winning books. See, for example, the Comprehensive School Climate Inventory:
Dr. Cohen is also a practicing child and adult clinical psychologist and psychoanalyst.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Communication, Language
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Organizational Behavior
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Cohen, J. (Ed.). (1999). Educating minds and hearts: Social emotional learning and the passage into adolescence. New York: Teachers College Press and the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. [Awarded the 1999 Outstanding Academic Book Award for 1999 by the American Library Association's Choice]
- Cohen, J. (Ed.). (2001). Caring classrooms/intelligent schools: The social emotional education of young children. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Cohen, J., & Cohler, B. J. (Eds.). (1999). The psychoanalytic study of lives over time: Clinical and research perspectives on children who return to treatment in adulthood. New York: Academic Press.
- Devine, J., & Cohen, J. (2007). Making your school safe: Strategies to protect children and promote learning. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Cohen, J. (2010). The new standards for learning. Principal Leadership, 10(1), 28-32.
- Cohen, J. (2006, Summer). Social, emotional, ethical, and academic education: Creating a climate for learning, participation in democracy, and well-being. Harvard Educational Review, 76(2), 201-237.
- Cohen, J. (1999). The first "R": Reflective capacities. Educational Leadership, 57(1), 70-75.
- Cohen, J. (1997). Child and adolescent psychoanalysis: Research, practice and theory. International Journal of Psycho-Analysis, 78(3), 499-520.
- Cohen, J., McCabe, E. M., Michelli, N. M., & Pickeral, T. (2009). School climate: Research, policy, practice, and teacher education. Teachers College Record, 111(1), 180-213.
- Cohen, J., Pickeral, T., & Levine, P. (2010). The Foundation for Democracy: Promoting social, emotional, ethical, cognitive skills and dispositions in K-12 schools. Inter-American Journal of Education for Democracy, 3(1), 74-97.
- Cohen, J., & Sandy, S. (2003, December). Perspectives in social-emotional education: Theoretical foundations and new evidence-based developments in current practice. Perspectives in Education, 21(4), 41-54.
- Cohen, J., & Pickeral, T., (2009). The School Climate Implementation Road Map: Promoting democratically informed school communities and the continuous process of school climate improvement. New York: Center for Social and Emotional Education.
- Cohen, J., & Pickeral, T. (2007, April, 18). Measuring and improving school climate: A commentary. Education Week, 26(33), pp. 29-30.
- Eyman, W., & Cohen, J. (2009). Breaking the Bully-Victim-Bystander Cycle Tool Kit: Creating a climate of safety and social responsibility. New York: Center for Social and Emotional Education.
- Child Psychotherapy: Research and Practice
- Social Emotional Education: Research and Practice
National School Climate Center
545 8th Avenue, Room 930
New York, New York 10018
- Phone: (212) 707-8799
- Fax: (212) 957-6616